Friday, February 20, 2009

The definition of insanity.

Look at me, I'm blogging! Yes, I've entered into that arena about which no one has ever rightfully said, "No one would want to read about that!" Sounds like the perfect place for me.

I've always wanted to be a writer. Short stories, novels, movie scripts, epic poems, they've all appealed to me on some level, but I was never able to hunker down and really go at it. I always suffered from a kind of writer's block, where I can't slow my thoughts down to pace I can type at. I've tried everything I can think of to no avail. Even alcohol doesn't slow my thoughts down, it just makes them a little blurry and hard to read.

So why am I trying again? Because I'm not very smart.

I've participated in National Novel Writing Month 6 years in a row, never getting past the second paragraph. I've taken no less than three Creative Writing classes at two different schools. I've read essays on writing from several authors, including my hero, Isaac Asimov. There's one thing that they've all said, in one form or another: to be a writer, you have to write. A lot. I'm paraphrasing, granted, but there it is.

So I'll give it another shot. Maybe this blogging thing is more my style. Maybe I'll stick with it this time. Maybe I'll even give that screenplay about birds another go around. Whatever happens, my goal is to have it be said that I tried. I am, however shooting for that succeeding thing.

2 comments:

  1. The idea of leaving the first comment is to get to it before some jackass has an opportunity to write "FIRST." I'm looking forward to your random quips and more in depth thoughts on paper. I've always wondered how such a visual person would translate to letters and paragraphs.

    ReplyDelete